Do you want to become a master composter? It’s not as difficult as you think. Here are five tips to get you started.
- No right way. There's no one right way to compost. Everyone can compost a little differently while still achieving the same goal.
- No food showing. Want to avoid pests around the compost bin? Don't leave any food showing. Compost things like fruit and vegetable scraps, coffee grounds, and eggshells. Don't add meat or fatty food waste.
- Lasagna layers. Layer your compost pile as if you're making lasagna. Put a brown layer down first, cover it with food, then add another brown layer.
- Mix it up. Have a diversity of food and yard debris and a mix of particle sizes in your bin.
- Balance and imbalance. If your compost is working, embrace it. If it's too wet, too dry, or too smelly, troubleshoot your way back to a balanced compost bin.