Topping the list of spring ailments has to be seasonal allergies. And not too far behind are the aches and pains from too much movement after a period of winter inactivity. There are many over-the-counter medicines that address these types of ailments but some may have unwanted side effects that can diminish your enjoyment of the outdoors. Homeopathic medicines, however, won’t cause drowsiness or interact with other medications.
Homeopathy expert Joette Calabrese HMC, CCH, RSHom(Na) says if you lead an active life in the spring then you “certainly don’t want to take anything that will interfere with your normal everyday functioning.” According to Calabrese, this is where homeopathic medicines can help. Here are a few of her favorites:
- Histaminum hydrochloricum relieves a wide variety of allergy symptoms, including hay fever.*
- Allium cepa relieves watery, burning eye discharge that is improved by cold.*
- Galphimia glauca relieves spasmodic sneezing brought on by hay fever.*
- Kali iodatum relieves a runny nose with a watery, burning discharge.*
- Arnica montana relieves muscle aches and pains, swelling, and bruising.*
- Ruta graveolens relieves pain from strained ligaments and tendons from repetitive injuries.*
- Rhus tox relieves muscular and articular pain at the beginning of motion and improved by slow motion.*
“Homeopathy is unique because it looks at the entire person with the totality of their symptoms and offers an intelligent medicine that gets to the root of health problems,” Calabrese says. “This means that five people with hay fever could receive five different medicines, depending upon each person’s symptoms or how each illness presents. Not all illnesses can be handled without the aid of a homeopathic practitioner, but simple methods for at-home use are within reach of all.”
To help you find the homeopathic medicine that’s right for you, download and explore the free Boiron Medicine Finder app.
*Claims based on traditional homeopathic practice, not accepted medical evidence. Not FDA evaluated.