4 Natural Cough Solutions Every Parent Needs to Know
Any parent knows that a sick child can disrupt the entire household. When it comes to treating coughs, it can be a big struggle to dole out a not-so-appetizing remedy to a less-than-willing recipient. However, there are some holistic, more kid-friendly options when it comes to treating coughs.
Boiron pharmacist Christophe Merville, D. Pharm. offers these four must-know tips:
- Keep them hydrated and relaxed. Encourage your child to drink water and other healthy liquids to help thin mucous secretion to help soothe his or her cough. Encourage your child to not overdo it when experiencing fever, aches or a cough that produces phlegm.
- Give them honey. It turns out grandma was right! According to a study published in “Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine,” a teaspoon of honey before bed can help calm children’s coughs and help them sleep better. Not only is honey rich in antioxidants to help fight infection, but it also coats the throat to help soothe the irritation. However, honey is not recommended for children under 1 year of age.
- Skip the cough suppressants. Coughs associated with a cold should be treated by an expectorant. This will help make the cough more productive, which helps the body clear out the mucous. On the other hand, suppressants suppress the body’s natural desire to heal.
- Try a homeopathic remedy. For a kid-friendly taste, try Boiron’s homeopathic multi-symptom cough reliever Children’s Chestal Cold & Cough. The natural active ingredients of Children’s Chestal Cold & Cough temporarily relieve symptoms of the common cold, such as nasal and chest congestion, a fitful cough, sneezing, minor sore throat and a runny or stuffy nose.*
To explore more homeopathic medicines for cold, cough and flu season, download our free Medicine Finder app.
* These “Uses” have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.