Celebrate American Heart Month—Start Moving!
According to the American Heart Association (AHA), 30 minutes of moderate activity per day is proven to improve both mental and physical health. So to celebrate February as American Hearth Month, here are some tips from the AHA for increasing your physical activity at home, at work, and at play.
At Home—It’s convenient, comfortable and safe to work out at home, and it allows your children to see you being active, which sets a good example.
– Work in the garden or mow the grass. (Using a riding mower doesn’t count!)
– Go out for a short walk before breakfast, after dinner or both! Start with 5-10 minutes and work up to 30 minutes.
– Stand up while talking on the telephone.
– Park farther away at the shopping mall and walk the extra distance. Wear your walking shoes and sneak in an extra lap or two around the mall.
At the Office—Most of us have sedentary jobs, and work takes up a significant part of our day.
– Brainstorm project ideas with a coworker while taking a walk.
– Walk down the hall to speak with someone rather than using the telephone.
– Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Or get off a few floors early and take the stairs the rest of the way.
– Form a sports team to raise money for charity events.
– Schedule exercise time on your business calendar and treat it as any other important appointment.
– Walk around your building for a break during the work day or during lunch.
At Play—Play and recreation are important for good health. Look for oopportunities such as these to be active and have fun at the same time.
– Make a date with a friend to enjoy your favorite physical activities. Do them regularly.
– Take dancing lessons. Hit the dance floor on fast numbers instead of slow ones.
And here’s one last tip: don’t forget your Arnicare! Starting a new exercise regimen is likely to cause sore muscles, so keep a tube of Arnicare Gel on hand to relieve muscle pain and stiffness, and to reduce swelling and discoloration from bruises. For more information, visit Arnicare.com or check us out on Facebook and Twitter.
How are you celebrating American Heart Month? Leave us a comment, and let us know your fitness goals, and how you hope to achieve them.