Mom-Approved Home Remedies for Cold & Flu Season
We hope you enjoy this post from guest blogger Rachel Harris from managedmoms.com.
Unfortunately, cold and flu season is just around the corner, so it’s time to arm yourself with some tried and true home remedies. Here is what we moms from managedmoms.com recommend for wellness:
– Oscillococcinum is a homeopathic medicine that has no side effects and is non-drowsy. I first heard about the tasty quick-dissolving pellets from a friend who swears by it for herself and for her family. We take it at the first sign of feeling run-down or ill. My kids love the little vials of medicine that taste like little balls of sugar. Oscillo (as I call it for short) is effective and safe for everyone. Good stuff!
– Use a humidifier that not only helps kids to breathe easier, but the white noise and machine’s light actually puts them to sleep, too.
– EmergenC is another family favorite that we drink mixed with water when we feel ill. We especially like the Tangerine flavor.
– A pediatric netipot does wonders for sinus problems. I found one made by NeilMed that works for both adults and children at CVS.
– For a sore throat, give your family hot water with lemon and honey. If your kids won’t drink hot tea, adding lemon and honey to warm water works the same way that tea does.
– If your child has strep throat, replace the toothbrush. My pediatrician once told me to buy a new toothbrush after strep because the bacteria can live on the brush and re-infect your child. Get the new toothbrush after your child is no longer contagious, but before finishing the antibiotics. The bacteria can live in the toothbrush and re-infect your kid when the antibiotics are done.
– Bragg’s raw organic apple cider vinegar mixed with apple juice can help to fend off an oncoming illness. At the onset of a cold, try this drink. Avoid the cheap distilled variety, as it is not beneficial because all of the antioxidants and vital ingredients are taken out during the distilling process.
I wish all of you a healthy fall and winter season ahead, and if you do catch a bug, try the above remedies to get well faster. For more Mom-approved tips and tricks, check out my website at managedmoms.com!
About Our Guest Blogger: Rachel Harris appears Wednesdays at 10 a.m. on the KTVK Channel 3 (Phoenix, Ariz.) show, “Your Life A-Z,” with her beauty and parenting segments. Rachel first became a KTVK producer on “Good Morning Arizona!” in 1998. In 2003, she helped create the “Your Life A-Z” show.
Rachel earned her bachelor’s degree in journalism from the University of Texas. Calling herself the “Manic Managed Mom,” she cheers on her son’s hockey team and her daughter’s performances in theatre musicals. Visit her website at www.managedmoms.com for tips, recipes and fun tidbits about how to keep those manic mom schedules somewhat managed!